New Year’s Eve is upon us.
Whether you’re having a get together at home, or hosting pre drinks before a big night out, there’s a fair chance you’ll be needing some tasty shareable snacks for your nearest and dearest.
With the recent cold weather creeping in what better way to warm everybody’s cockles than with some good spicy hot wings?
This recipe has a respectable amount of heat without being too abbrasive; a nice balance of fire and fruity notes. You can of course experiment and substitute the suggested sauces for hotter or milder options dependant on your personal preference.
I’ve included cooking instructions for the hot smoker or the domestic oven. This recipe really suits woodfired cooking, but oven cooking will still produce some damn fine wings.
You can buy the sauces used in this recipe from our online shop, link provided below.
Fruity Hot Wings
- Smoker (optional)
- 20 Chicken Wings
- 50ml <a href="product/the-super-sauce/">Super Sauce</a>
- 120ml Life's A Peach BBQ Sauce
- Finely chopped chilli and spring onions to garnish
For the rub
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp paprika
- Combine all the rub ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add the chicken wings to an ample sized lidded container along with the Super Sauce. Put the lid on the container and shake well until the wings are coated evenly in sauce.
- Leave to marinade for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle the rub over the wings and shake the container again until the wings are evenly coated.
Cooking in the oven
- Preheat the smoker to 180°C / ~360°F
- Arrange the wings on a wire rack grill pan. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Brush the wings on both sides with Life's a Peach BBQ sauce and return to the oven for a further 25 minutes or until the wings are well browned all over.
- Remove from the oven, drizzle with the remaining Life's a Peach BBQ sauce and garnish with diced chilli and spring onions.
Cooking in the smoker
- Preheat the smoker to 140°C / ~280°F.
- Arrange the wings on a wire rack grill. Hot smoke for 1 hour using a fruit wood. I used cherry, but apple will do just fine.
- Brush the wings on both sides with Life's a Peach BBQ sauce. Bring the smoker up to 160°C / 320°F.
- Smoke for another hour or until the wings are well browned and crispy. If you're in doubt, check for an internal temp of 75°C / ~170°F.
- Remove from the smoker, drizzle all over with the remaining Life's a Peach BBQ sauce and garnish with diced chilli and spring onions.